Friday, April 11, 2014

Lenten Photo Challenge Day 32 - Asleep

I find it interesting how the words I have used this Lenten season all connect to each other. Day 31 was daylight and I referred to sleeping. Now today I see the word is asleep. Can I use yesteday's post again? Not this time.

I looked at I Thessalonians 4:13-14 - "But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.

I see why "asleep" has a special meaning during the Lenten season. We typically think of "asleep" as a temporary condition and "death" as a permanent condition. In the verse above I see that death is also a temporary condition for those who belive that Jesus died and rose again.

We attended the funeral service for a friend who was a member of the church we joined when we moved to Fredericksburg in 1987. She was one of those friendly, welcoming "church ladies". She lived her faith. We have a small plaque that her husband made for many of us years and years ago that simply says "Jesus". It is made from broken popsicle sticks. At first glance it may be hard to make out the word, but once it is seen, the word always shows then.

God's love is like that - once we find it, we will see it all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment